Living and growing as a sustainable city will ensure Cleveland’s longevity. Sustainable Cleveland engages everyone to work together to design and develop a thriving and resilient Cleveland that leverages its wealth of assets to build economic, social and environmental well-being for all.
Sustainable Cleveland is:
- A community of people from every walk of life working together to reshape Cleveland into a vibrant livable city with thriving businesses and a flourishing natural environment.
- A resource that offers information and actionable tools so you can make smart, sustainable choices at home, at work and in your community.
Mission: Sustainable Cleveland engages people from all walks of life, working together to design and develop a thriving and resilient Cleveland region that leverages its wealth of assets to build economic, social and environmental well-being for all.
Vision: Cleveland will surprise, amaze, and inspire the world with its transformation to a bright green city on a blue lake. Determined people from every walk of life will work together to shape vibrant livable communities, innovative businesses, and a flourishing natural environment that will result in health, wealth, creativity, and economic opportunities for all.
Sustainable Cleveland Leadership Structure
- Founded by Mayor Frank G. Jackson
- Guided by the Sustainable Cleveland Stewardship Council
- Administrated by the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability
- Powered by Citizens
- Funded by foundation, corporate and individual support
In autumn 2009, the City of Cleveland hosted the first Sustainable Cleveland Summit and announced an ambitious plan to transform Cleveland into a Green City on a Blue Lake in just ten years. Founded by Mayor Frank G. Jackson and facilitated by the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability, Sustainable Cleveland has gained support and grown in scope, breadth and participants since it launched in 2009.
We are proud of the progress we are making toward the measurable goals outlined in the progress dashboard. We are integrating sustainability not only into the City of Cleveland’s everyday municipal operations, but also into our residents’ lives and the priorities of our corporate and institutional partners. We are committed to sustaining this work until 2019 and beyond and we look forward to Clevelanders from all walks of life sharing in the benefits of a sustainable Cleveland.