The Youth Sustainability Leadership Program
The Youth Sustainability Leadership Program (YSLP) is anxious to reveal what sustainability looks like during a pandemic, with our youth leading the way. This program is a chance to highlight and showcase the new innovative and creative ways each of our students demonstrate sustainability and sustainable practices at school, home, and in the community.
This year we’re excited to add more content, virtual field trips, special peer demonstrations, and more opportunities for our students to learn about sustainability in everyday life. We’re looking forward to hearing all about student efforts when we convene next month at the Sustainable Cleveland 2020 Virtual Summit from October 14th-15th!
YSLP Program and Objectives
Annually students are invited to attend the Sustainable Cleveland Summit. With generous support from our sponsors, participating students learn the impact Sustainable Cleveland has had in our city and region and opportunities to interact with leaders in the community. Guided by members of the City of Cleveland Mayor’s Office of Sustainability and a team of community stakeholders, students will design, record, and implement sustainability projects that will have a positive impact on their school, peers, and community.
Roles and Requirements of Youth Leaders
- Attend the Sustainable Cleveland 2020 Virtual Summit (October 14th & 15th, 2020) and actively participate in all activities.
- Have an interest in sustainability and in developing leadership skills, and be self-motivated, open-minded, and eager to learn.
- Select an area of focus from tracks (Content Development and Implementation, Peer-to-Peer Mentoring, Ecopreneurship, and/or Cohort Content Capturing).
- Use the skills and experience gained at the Sustainable Cleveland Summit to develop and implement sustainability projects at home, at school, or in the community.
- Hold leadership roles at student conferences and/or public outreach events, helping to engage peers and community members in sustainability and climate action.
- Develop project ideas or ways to incorporate sustainability into existing school/community projects at the Sustainable Cleveland Summit.
- Attend and participate in a total of 6 virtual monthly meetings on specified topics (sustainability, natural environment, built environment, and art or the creative environment).
- With support from the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability, continue to develop/implement projects throughout the school year – specifically for peers.
- Share projects with peers and community members through activities and presentations.
- Provide feedback on how YSLP can be improved for future generations.
- Have FUN!
YSLP 2020-2021 Schedule (October 14, 2020 – April 10, 2021)
The 2020-2021 cohort of YSLP will include experiences in all aspects of sustainability, filled with lots of information, lessons to learn and even activities for students to conduct with their peers. The tentative program schedule is detailed below, including meeting schedules, agendas, and information on the final project. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all 2020-2021 YSLP meetings will be held virtually.
View the complete YSLP 2020-2021 Schedule
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete the online application form: Youth Sustainability Leadership Program 2020-2021;
2. Download the PDF application form and email it to Philena Seldon at email@example.com
Please note that the application requires permission from the student applicant, the student's parent/guardian, and a teacher or principal.
YSLP Applications are due on Wednesday, October 7, 2020!