Thank you for joining the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability as we kicked off The Year of Vital Neighborhoods.
Neighborhoods are the building blocks of a great urban area. They are the real places of daily life — places where people interact face to face, where transactions are made, and where a sense of identity and history is created. They are also the places where most people can live decent lives with the least environmental impact. By bringing opportunities together in close proximity, neighborhoods reduce the need for transportation.
Sustainable Cleveland 2019 is a 10-year initiative that engages everyone to work together to design and develop a thriving and resilient Cleveland that leverages its wealth of assets to build economic, social and environmental well-being for all.
Recap from the 10th Annual Sustainable Cleveland Summit
Thanks to all who joined us for the 10th Annual Sustainable Cleveland Summit on September 20-21, 2018. More than 500 sustainability leaders learned about new innovations, advanced existing initiatives, and co-created Cleveland's sustainable future.
- Neighborhoods: Neighborhood-level sustainability and equity;
- SC2019: Preparing for next year's culmination of Sustainable Cleveland 2019 and what comes next;
- Water: Advance water issues locally and nationally by marking the 50th anniversary of the infamous Cuyahoga River burning on June 22, 2019;
- Climate: Implementing the new Cleveland Climate Action Plan by advancing work on green biz, sustainable transportation, clean energy, green space, and more!
We had four dynamic speakers this year. Radhika Fox, CEO of the US Water Alliance, served as our Day 1 keynote by highlighting progress in clean water, but also challenging attendees on the hard work that remains. Day 2 featured a stirring keynote from Rue Mapp, Founder of Outdoor Afro, and two ignite talks from Brigadier General Stephen Cheney of the American Security Project and Senator Michael Bennet from Colorado.
It's clear we made another step forward in transforming Cleveland into a Thriving Green City on a Blue Lake.
- City Photo Coverage
- Summit Participant Workbook
- Matt Gray Presentation on "State of Sustainable Cleveland 2019"
- Cleveland unveils climate plan that weeks to promote racial, social equality while building a sustainable green economy (cleveland.com)
- Racial Equity is Key to Cleveland's Comeback (Sustainable City Network)
- 100% Renewable Energy: Cleveland Sets a Big Goal as it Sheds its Fossil Fuel Past (Inside Climate News)
- Local Solar at the Heart of Cleveland's 100% Renewable Energy Goal (PV Magazine)
- City of Cleveland Hopes to be 100% Renewable by 2050 (WCPN Ideastream)
- 10th Sustainable Cleveland Summit (WCPN Sound of Ideas)
- Updated Climate Action Plan Shoots for 100% Electricity from Renewable Sources by 2050 (News 5)
- City of Cleveland Press Release
Videos Presented at the Summit
Blue Lake Sponsors:
Lake Erie Sponsors:
Special thanks to: