Recap from the 11th Annual Sustainable Cleveland Summit
Celebrating 10 Years. Building the Future.
Thanks to all who joined us for the 11th Annual Sustainable Cleveland Summit on October 16, 2019. Over 500 residents, local businesses, and sustainability leaders from all walks of life participated in this continuing effort to develop a thriving and resilient Cleveland region.
The 2019 Summit marked the Culmination of Mayor Frank G. Jackson’s Sustainable Cleveland 2019 10-year initiative. We honored the many people and organizations that have gotten us this far, while also building off this foundation for even greater progress. The Summit included remarks from Mayor Frank Jackson, keynote presentations, recognition and awards, facilitated discussions on key priorities going forward, and much more:
- Circular Economy - Addressing recycling challenges while also laying the groundwork to become a national leader in the circular economy through reuse, sharing, repair & remanufacturing.
- 100% Renewable Energy - Transitioning toward 100% renewable electricity while fighting poverty and creating opportunity.
- Trees & Green Spaces- Providing access to trees and vibrant green space for all Clevelanders.
- Vision Zero & Sustainable Transportation - Advancing safe, equitable, and sustainable transportation throughout Cleveland.
- Clean Water - Building off the success of Cuyahoga50 to create greater access to our most valuable asset...water.
- The Movement - Looking Beyond 2019, what's next for engaging Clevelanders in sustainability and climate action.
We had five dynamic keynote speakers this year presenting on various topics such as transportation, circular economy, and climate change.
Dr. Richard Ezike, Senior Policy Associate with the Urban Institute
India Birdsong, General Manager & CEO of the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
Circular Economy Keynotes
Michael Waas, Global Vice President of Brand Partnerships with TerraCycle
Nik Engineer, Executive Lead of North America Operations with the Ellen MacArthur Foundation
Climate Change Speaker
Michael Shank, Ph.D., Communications Director with the Carbon Neutral Cities Alliance
- City Photo Coverage
- Summit Participant Workbook
- Sustainable Cleveland 2019 Summary
- Matt Gray, Chief of Sustainability "State of Sustainable Cleveland"
- 'Last' Sustainable Cleveland 2019 event just the beginning
- Cleveland commits to spending up to $1 million each year for 10 years toward restoring the Forest City's tree canopy
- Ripple effects of Sustainable Cleveland 2019 spread
- Cleveland Commits $1 Million A Year To Revitalize Tree Canopy
- RTA Refocusing on Low-to Mid-Income Riders, CEO says
- City of Cleveland Press Release
- Sustainable Cleveland 2019: Celebrating 10 Years. Building the Future.
- Today marks 50 years since the nation watched a river burn.
- Sustainable Cleveland 2019 Summit
- Keeping It Green
We thank the Summit sponsors not only for making this event possible but for being critical partners in sustainability.
Blue Lake Sponsors
Lake Erie Sponsors