Recap from the 10th Annual Sustainable Cleveland Summit
Thanks to all who joined us for the 10th Annual Sustainable Cleveland Summit on September 20-21, 2018. More than 500 sustainability leaders learned about new innovations, advanced existing initiatives, and co-created Cleveland's sustainable future.
- Neighborhoods: Neighborhood-level sustainability and equity;
- SC2019: Preparing for next year's culmination of Sustainable Cleveland 2019 and what comes next;
- Water: Advance water issues locally and nationally by marking the 50th anniversary of the infamous Cuyahoga River burning on June 22, 2019;
- Climate: Implementing the new Cleveland Climate Action Plan by advancing work on green biz, sustainable transportation, clean energy, green space, and more!
We had four dynamic speakers this year. Radhika Fox, CEO of the US Water Alliance, served as our Day 1 keynote by highlighting progress in clean water, but also challenging attendees on the hard work that remains. Day 2 featured a stirring keynote from Rue Mapp, Founder of Outdoor Afro, and two ignite talks from Brigadier General Stephen Cheney of the American Security Project and Senator Michael Bennet from Colorado.
It's clear we made another step forward in transforming Cleveland into a Thriving Green City on a Blue Lake.
- City Photo Coverage
- Summit Participant Workbook
- Matt Gray Presentation on "State of Sustainable Cleveland 2019"
- Cleveland unveils climate plan that weeks to promote racial, social equality while building a sustainable green economy (cleveland.com)
- Racial Equity is Key to Cleveland's Comeback (Sustainable City Network)
- 100% Renewable Energy: Cleveland Sets a Big Goal as it Sheds its Fossil Fuel Past (Inside Climate News)
- Local Solar at the Heart of Cleveland's 100% Renewable Energy Goal (PV Magazine)
- City of Cleveland Hopes to be 100% Renewable by 2050 (WCPN Ideastream)
- 10th Sustainable Cleveland Summit (WCPN Sound of Ideas)
- Updated Climate Action Plan Shoots for 100% Electricity from Renewable Sources by 2050 (News 5)
- City of Cleveland Press Release
Videos Presented at the Summit
Blue Lake Sponsors:
Lake Erie Sponsors:
Special thanks to:
2017 SUSTAINABLE CLEVELAND SUMMIT
September 27th & 28th, 2017 at Cleveland Public Auditorium
Presented by: The Cleveland Foundation
Presented by the Cleveland Foundation, the 2017 Sustainable Cleveland Summit brought together more than 500 people from all walks of life to help design Cleveland's sustainable future. The Summit provided an opportunity to work across sectors, foster collaboration, and learn about recent innovations. Join us September 27th & 28th, 2017 at Cleveland Public Auditorium for an event not to be missed.
2017 is the Sustainable Cleveland Year of Vibrant Green Space, and this year’s Summit built off past accomplishments to accelerate Cleveland’s positive momentum in developing healthy, vibrant, and equitable communities. We welcomed Mark Tercek, President & CEO of The Nature Conservancy, as this year's Summit keynote speaker.
The 2017 Summit presented a unique opportunity to crowdsource expertise to collectively:
- Help update the Cleveland Climate Action Plan, which incorporates the topics of: Energy, Water and Land Use, Community Engagement, Waste, and Transportation.
- Celebrate the Year of Vibrant Green Space and work to continue its expansion
- Develop plans for the Year of Vital Neighborhoods in 2018
- Focus on what we can accomplish by June 22nd, 2019, the 50-year anniversary of the infamous Cuyahoga River burning. Leon Bibb, award-winning journalist and broadcaster, set the stage for this important conversation, in partnership with Stokes50CLE.
The City Of Cleveland is proud to be a partner in the year long, community-wide commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of Carl Stokes’ election as mayor of Cleveland. Mayor Stokes and his brother Congressmen Louis Stokes, played key roles in the advancement of the city and the nation through the civil rights movement, environmental movement, and beyond.
Thank you for joining us on September 27th & 28th, 2017 at Cleveland Public Auditorium, as we made one step forward in transforming Cleveland into a Thriving Green City on a Blue Lake.
Crafting a Vision for a Greener Future at Sustainable Cleveland Summit (Freshwater Cleveland)
Presentations on Video
Blue Lake Sponsors
A Special Thank You To Our Facilitators:
Check out our calendar for a list of other events hosted by Sustainable Cleveland and our partners.