Throughout the month of March, we celebrated Women's History Month by sharing the lives and stories of women from the past, present, and future leaders in sustainability.Read more
Throughout the month of February, we've celebrated Black History Month by highlighting Black Sustainability Leaders who have worked to create a greener future for our planet and our local communities.
With a wide range of sustainable careers, backgrounds, and expertise including youth employment, equitable food access, and plastic pollution; they've each made significant strides and accomplishments to building a thriving green city on a blue lake.
Whether it’s through heating in the winter, cooling in the summer, using appliances, medical equipment, and more - energy plays a crucial role in ensuring that our homes are safe and comfortable. This energy also comes at a cost through our monthly utility bills. For many, these bills can present a difficult financial burden that can threaten utility shut-offs, debt, and even eviction.Read more
The August monthly series topic focused on the many layers of health through the lens of sustainability. Our Outreach and Education Liaison Philena Seldon led the discussion with an inter-generational panel focusing on a multilayered perspective on what health and sustainability mean in the present day, during a pandemic and social unrest. If you've missed the discussion, you can watch the full recording below or on our Vimeo channel here.
Our three talented panelists included:
Here are some takeaways from the panel discussion as well as some recommended resources by our panelists:
Indigo Bishop suggested running errands and carpooling with people you enjoy. It makes the journey fun, strengthens bonds, and allows people to experience comradery during these challenging times.
- Buy groceries at local farmers markets through Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) to support healthy local food growers as well as have healthy local options for yourself.
- Start your own composting - what gets composted provides nutrients for something else to grow. Learn more about composting here.
Kimberly Smith-Woodford mentioned getting out in nature. She encouraged Black people to join her and Journey on Yonder in the parks.
- Journey on Yonder helps to create resilience in green space and nature, supporting mental and physical wellness through hiking.
- Black Environmental Leaders (BEL) stand as stewards of the natural and built environment through collaboration and partnership, to raise awareness and advocate for environmental and economic justice.
Kynnedy Smith advised researching your local representatives to ensure that the people you vote for have sustainability as a priority. Keep those representatives accountable by writing them letters or calling to ask questions about their recent initiatives to make our city sustainable. We recently featured Kynnedy for International Youth Day - check out that interview here.
- Check out Cuyahoga Recycles to learn how to recycle in Cleveland and surrounding suburbs.
- Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA) to learn where to recycle.
- UNICEF Guide to Sustainable Living
- Resources and tips how to live sustainably
- 100+ Simple Tips to Live a More Sustainable Lifestyle
Thanks for joining us last month! Our September monthly meeting will focus on Energy Awareness - you can register to attend this virtual event here.
Did you know you can take metal items to local area scrap yards? Check out this list of local resources.Read more
Rubbing/Isopropyl alcohol is the perfect disinfectant to use in nearly every room of your home! And because it evaporates quickly, there is little concern for water damage, especially to sensitive electronics like keyboards.Read more
Most of us have peroxide in our homes, right? We typically reach for it when we get cuts or scrapes, but did you know it does so much more? Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is an excellent disinfectant, often used in hospital settings to sanitize surfaces and bedding. It can be used all around your home from kitchen to bathroom, laundry room to your dog’s bed! It can even help your houseplants!Read more
This blog will help guide you in making homemade, all-natural house cleaning products that will provide a safer environment for you and your families.Read more