City of Cleveland Announces Upcoming Scooter & Bike Share Educational Sessions
Scooters could return to city streets as early as late August
CLEVELAND – In preparation for the return of scooters to City streets in late August, the City of Cleveland is partnering with shared mobility vendors to host a series of public education events beginning this week.
WHAT: Each event will allow experts to share safety information with not only prospective scooter riders but also motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians who will share the road. There will also be a helmet giveaway and a hands-on skills course for people interested in trying out the scooters.
WHERE: Mall C Downtown - St. Clair Ave. NE, Cleveland, OH 44114
WHEN: Thursday, Aug. 22 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
NOTE: If media are interested in interviewing City officials and its partners, please contact the Mayor’s Office of Communications to arrange an interview. Additional events will be announced as they are confirmed. Visit http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/dockless/ for the most current list.
Other event locations include:
- Wednesday, August 21, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Toby's Plaza, 11440 Uptown Ave.
In partnership with Uptown Summer Programming Series
- Wednesday, August 21, 3:00p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Edgewater Beach House, Edgewater Park
6500 Cleveland Memorial Shoreway
- Thursday, August 22, 4-7:30 p.m.
Mall C Downtown (north side of Lakeside Avenue next to City Hall)
- Saturday, August 24, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Market Square Park, 1996 W. 25th St.
For possible additional dates: HERE
IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS
As a scooter rider, key things to remember include:
- Ride in the street. Scooter and bike riders should ride in the street with the flow of traffic, using bike lanes where possible.
- Don't get stranded. Under City regulations for the six-month demonstration, scooter vendors are required to deactivate the devices between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. Keep this in mind when planning your rides.
- Be visible. Never assume a driver sees you. Ride at least three feet from the curb so you are in the line of sight of other road users.
- Be predictable. Follow all traffic laws, including stopping when the traffic light is red. Avoid weaving and riding erratically.
- Ride smart. Don't carry objects that keep you from controlling the scooter or bike. Don't be distracted or ride with headphones. Don't drink and ride. Don't ride more than one person per device.
- Wear a helmet. Permitted vendors are required to give you a free helmet upon request.
Motor vehicle drivers should keep the following in mind:
- Share the road. People riding scooters and bikes are allowed on the road.
- Don't drive distracted. Be alert and watch out for slower moving road users like people on scooters and bikes.
- Pass safely. Drivers may pass people on scooters and bikes if there are at least three feet between the motor vehicle and the rider. Where possible, change lanes to pass.
- Look before you leave. When you park on the street, check your blind spot to make sure you will not hit a scooter or bike rider when you open your door.
- Be patient. Everyone on the road wants to get where they are going quickly and safely.
St Clair NE
Cleveland, OH 44114
Google map and directions