Local food is the production, process, distribution and consumption of food within a specific region, usually 100 miles from farm to fork. A focus on local food is essential for a sustainable economy in Cleveland because of its environmental benefits and because it is an economic driver.
- Creates Jobs that cannot be outsourced
- Provides business opportunties for value-added product
- Improves air and soil quality
- Reduces the city’s carbon footprint
- Grows Community Health and Wealth
- Crosses cultural and Class Barriers
- Grows Communities
- Produces Healthier Families
- Encourages Healthier Living
- Supports Local Businesses
- Improves Relationships
This animated video illustrates the vision for Cleveland and Northeast Ohio’ sustainable local food system and how you can contribute.